Wednesday, October 20, 2010

why the title of my blog

"at her music" probably hasn't made much sense to you, my appreciated reader. i've wanted to post about my choice so you understand. also, it would be nice to have it recorded so that when i'm wrinkly, technologically tired someday, and reading the printed copy of the blog from my youth, i'll remember and smile.

it's based on the title of a book, "girl, interrupted" by susanna kaysen, whose title is based on a painting called "girl interrupted at her music" by johannes vermeer. quote from the book:

"This time I read the title of the painting: "Girl Interrupted at Her Music".

Interrupted at her music: as my life had been, interrupted in the music of being seventeen, as her life had been, snatched and fixed on canvas: one moment made to stand still and to stand for all the other moments, whatever they would be or might have been."
- "Girl Interrupted" by Susanna

girl.
me, writing the story of my life, here.
..not the average 21 year old female protagonist.

interrupted.
"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come."- Joseph Campbell
my life has been interrupted so many times.. that's the human experience though, right? where we think we're headed and where we actually end up tend to be different.. not always, but generally, yes. interruptions can change plans completely, alter them a little, or merely put them on hold for a while. whatever the cause, they happen, frequently. part of life's lesson is learning how to cope with them and continue on.

at her music.
"Life is like music, it must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule. Nevertheless one had better know the rules, for they sometimes guide in doubtful cases, though not often."- Paracelsus

so, i'm at my music, experiencing the symphony that is my life with feelings and instincts born in my old, artist's soul.


p.s. (unrelated to post!!) i have a bad habit of editing my posts after i publish because i also have the bad habit of not proofreading before publishing. does it mess up your blog reader and post a new one every time i publish, or does it just refresh the original post?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really informative blog post here my friend. I just wanted to comment & say keep up the quality work. I’ve bookmarked your blog just now and I’ll be back to read more in the future my friend! Also well-chosen colors on the theme it goes well with the blog in my modest opinion :)

Anonymous said...

Simple and sweet. I’m thinking of starting another blog or five pretty soon, and I’ll definitely consider this theme. Keep ‘em coming!